Tuesday, January 29, 2008

His Turntables Say "Bad Motherfucker" On Them

Words >>

Often, I find myself talking to people about various music scenes around the country. Invariably, we'll get on the topic of Chicago and people are suprised by ambivalence towards my cold, difficult mother city. The say they heard its awesome and I say they never lived there and the music scene isn't all that great. I'm going to tell you about the one general and the one specific point which I am not ambivalent about:



Electronic Music >>

Until now, I've really only discussed indie rock on Raise The Black Flag. Its high time for that to change, and I'm starting with the Chicago House scene as I remember it and why its still incredibly vital and important to the electronic music scene globally. Basically, every good house track either came from Chicago, was made by someone who was originally from Chicago, or is a deriviative thereof. Every good house guy that you like to go see here in San Francisco? Guess what? He's from Chicago. I'll spend a little time later talking about some of the other great ones later. I really want to get on to my next point.


Noleian Reusse >>

Noleian is one of my favorite electronic artists for many reasons. The kid is no joke. He's one of the ones that made music his job because he loves it and believes in it. He DJ's his ass off 8 nights a week to packed clubs and then goes and does it again at an underground party. He eats vinyl for breakfast, skips lunch cuz he's too damn busy and eats synthesizers for dinner, rare. He sleeps on a bed of midi cables. His whole loft is heated by the vast amount of equipment he commands and the sweaty fervor which which he commands it. Gramaphone (http://www.gramaphonerecords.com) can't keep his records in stock and the press can't keep up with his orders. He fucking rocks.

I came on to the scene in the early 90's and so blown away by what i was hearing and feeling that I was willing to brave the most frightening of neighborhoods (places even the Chicago police wouldn't go) to go to the most sketchy of warehouse parties just to shake my ass. It literally was worth risking life and property for. I would never have gained such an appreciation for House if it hadn't been for my very good friend Noleian. He inundated me with tracks and culture, found the very best events and introduced us to the best and brightest on the scene at the time. Basically, the best times I've had in Chicago have been with and because of him.

Noleian graced me today with live set from one of his recent shows. It's subtle, deep and it fucking kills:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2zf9mnpz9zt

You can read more about him in a recent article in metroblossom.com:

http://www.metroblossom.com/issue1d.php


Cheers!

Raise The Black Flag

No comments: